Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Insectology at OxBow, Part 1

And I find myself lucky enough to be here at OxBow, on a lagoon and surrounding by large birch/pine covered dunes on the great Lake Michigan. The assignment: lead an intensive course on insects with a group of eleven wonderful/wanderfilled art students. 
 

Out in dem thar woods on the Crow's Nest trail....

 

peering at a caterpillar that was crawling in the studio lab...


and taking in the translucent green majesty of some sort of silk moth caterpillar that a student in the printmaking lab, Maxx, brought to us. I believe it might be a Polyphemus...


and in the lagoon  some "water scorpions" (Order: Hemiptera) were tooling about....


And here we all are working diligently to collect enough grasshoppers that we might be able to have a meal of them later in the week!


more to follow...

AY

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yea!!!! I feel how great you are feeling. I envy you for having such experience. I like to have one but I don’t get any. All the images are awesome. Thank for sharing. Waiting for part- 2.